KBC Presidents Newsletter

KBC President Newsletter, Aug 10, 2021

The KBC Board met July 20.  Here are some things that happened at the meeting:

1.      Pat Pearlman is now our Safety Coordinator.  She is checking vaccination records for all players.  Covid vaccinations are required to play in Face-to-Face bridge.  Recently we also instituted a mask mandate due to the highly contagious Delta variant.  At this time, all players must always wear masks properly, except when eating.  Please eat or drink away from the tables.

2.     We have a new computer!  Thank you for being patient with our computer issues.  Thank you to Patrick Kallaus for all his help as we transition.

3.     Dan Sabo reported on the February 19, 20, 21 Sectional.  Plans are moving forward smoothly. The Chair is Jean Zoeller.  A copy of the schedule is also available.

4.     The Education Committee has started a FTF “brush up” class on Saturdays at 1:00.  Call Pat Pearlman 808-990-5686, if you know someone who might want to take up bridge again, or just wants a review before returning to play. Pat Aldred has a wealth of interesting lessons to present.  You may have seen our West Hawaii Today ads in the Upcoming Events column.

5.     David Case reported on his analysis of the ByLaws and tax status of the club.  Because of his thorough analysis and contribution, The Board unanimously voted him to the KBC Board.  We now have an odd number (7) of members.

6.     Kate Claeys sewed the new table covers.

7.     Louise Weidner is becoming a Director.

8.     Our annual KBC meeting will be September 1st at our Wednesday FTF bridge game. 

9.     Please plan on coming to this special game and meeting.  The Board of Directors will be voted on again by all.  All the present Board members have agreed to serve again for 2021-2022.  Let me know if you would like to serve on the Board.

Dorothy Case, KBC Board President

KBC Newsletter

KBC Newsletter
May 2021
 
Aloha Kona Bridge Club members!
 
Your new Board has been busy regrouping since our year long hiatus.
 
We started Face to Face (FTF) bridge in April on Wednesdays with a limit of 6 tables.
We enjoyed seeing our friends again, albeit with masks on.  Now that we can take our masks off and increase the number of tables, we hope to get enough players for a Saturday game. Our new protocol allows more tables and no masks since our venue is basically outdoors.  We do require, however, that all players have been vaccinated.
 
We have been reaching out to call all our members to update our list. We want to know about your online bridge experience, your future with ACBL bridge and the Kona Bridge Club, and if you want to continue to be on the list.
 
Louise Weidner has taken on the responsibility of Club Manager and is digging right in! She is getting to know all her responsibilities so that she can then delegate. Dorothy Case, and our newest director Sharon Weber, alternate Wednesday games. Patrick Kallaus is busy directing the Unit online games. Sharon is also directing online. Many players are pitching in to help set up and take down the FTF games.
 
Financially our club is doing well financially thanks to the Unit’s sharing of the BBO online table fees.
ACBL is also doing well with the online bridge.
 
We have established some working committees for the club operation:
Hospitality: Kate Claeys
Education: Pat Pearlman. 
Club Maintenance: Louise Weidner
We will be asking members to join these committees in the future as needed.
We hope every club member will get involved where interested.
 
The Unit plans to hold the Sectional tournament again over President’s Day weekend,
Feb. 19 – 20, 2022.
 
We have paid the school $600 for rent for the year and will give a $1,000 donation in December. Maukua Lani has had full classes all year and has used the Bridge Building for classrooms to accommodate social distancing. They have asked that we not come on campus until 12:30 PM on weekday games during school. We need to be out by 5 when another group comes into the building. Now in the summer we can come earlier. Saturday is their preferred day for us during school.
 
We would like to honor Sara Ito for her many years of tireless service as the Club Manager. The transition happened after lock down so we have not had an opportunity to honor her until now. Please join us to celebrate, Wednesday, June 16. We will have a lunch at noon before the 1:00pm game. 
 
Thanks for your participation.
 
Dorothy Case, President

KBC Board Meeting Minutes May 11 2021

                                              May 11, 2021 KBC Board Meeting Minutes

 

Meeting was called to order at 1:00. Present: Dorothy Case, Pat Pearlman, Penny Kallaus, Sharon Weber, Louise Weidner, and Roma Johnson

 

Minutes of April 23 board meeting were read and approved. Minutes of July 22,2020 board meeting reviewed.

 

Treasurers Report: Penny distributed the KBC operating statement.  We have a balance of $23,099. Penny is now able to write checks and the April rent has been paid. The treasurer’s report was approved.

 

Manager’s Report: Louise reported that she, Dale Overman, and Dean Jenkins will become directors.  She also reported that ACBL has contacted her and she is happier with them now.

 

Unit 469 Report: Dan Sabo not at meeting. No report.

 

President’s Report: Dorothy reported that she has ordered the nametags and they have been mailed. The unit board approved 399 games for $4.00 online rather than $5.00. Makua Lani has been told about the broken outlet. We need to order new batteries for Bridge Mates and set up a regular schedule to replace the batteries.

 

Business Ad Hoc Committee: No discussion

 

Old Business:

 

  1. Establish Chairperson of Committees:

 

Hospitality:  Dale Overman has accepted the position of chair. Roma has agreed to recognize birthdays and to send cards, etc. as needed for care and concern.

Club Maintenance; No chair recognized

Education: Pat Pearlman

Business Ad Hoc: David Case

Tournaments, Ad Hoc: No chair

Disciplinary, Ad Hoc: President is chair

 

Chairpersons will decide how to solicit committee members.

 

  1. Status of Saturday game: Not ready to do yet

 

  1. Thank you to Sara Ito: Sharon moved and Roma seconded that we give her a nice card and $300. Approved.

 

  1. Distribute Roster: Board members will each call a list of members to find out who is still interested, who is playing on line, who is playing face to face, etc. Roster will be distributed after findings from phone calls. It was suggested that we add the ACBL numbers to roster.

 

  1. Time of arrival for FTF games: 10 minutes prior to start of game and penalties are being given for those who are late.

 

  1. Amount of donation to school at the end of year: We will give $1,000.

 

  1. President will do a newsletter after this meeting to all members. She will send to Pat for editing.

 

  1. February Sectional: After some discussion, it was decided to turn this over the the Unit chair.

 

 

New Business:

 

1.Additional FTF directors. Some discussion. Louise, Dean, Dale and Kelly will become directors.

 

  1. Some discussion on keeping money in reserve for Bridgemates ($4,000), Dealing Machine ($5,000), new computer ($2,000)

 

  1. Dorothy will put something in the newsletter about members being able to attend board meetings, but make it clear that they cannot make motions or vote.

 

  1. Louise is going to look into getting table covers.

 

  1. Pat moved and Roma seconded that we add an additional member at large board member so that there will be an odd number of board members. Approved. Board members recommended Dale Overman. Dorothy to ask David how we should do this.

 

Next meeting is scheduled for July 20 at 1:00 at Pat’s home.

 

Meeting adjourned at 2:45.

 

Respectfully submitted, Roma Johnson, Secretary

Board Meeting Minutes April 23, 2021

Minutes of April 23, 2021 KBC Board Meeting

 

 

Present:

Dorothy Case, President

Pat Pearlman, Vice President

Roma Johnson, Secretary

Penny Kallaus, Treasurer

Sharon Weber, Member at Large

Alice Goo, Member at Large

Louise Weidner, Club Manager

Dan Sabo, Unit 469 Chair

 

Meeting was called to order by President, Dorothy Case at 1:00 PM.  The minutes of the January 25 meeting were read and approved.  There have been no meetings since then due to the COVID epidemic.

 

Penny gave the treasurer’s report and shared that she will be getting signature letters for bank business, and will be getting the necessary credit and debit cards.

 

Dan gave the Unit 469 report. He shared that BBO was making lots of money. Playing on line is good for a variety of people, as they do not need to leave their homes, there is no hosting, no need to make coffee, etc. Our membership has dropped from 119 to 104, but Dan is not too concerned. There was some conversation about Unit 470 that they were making lots of money with BBO.

 

There were no committee reports.

 

Louise gave the club manager report. She is trying to learn her way through the processes, programs, etc. She is very upset with ACBL now. There have been lots of changes due to the virtual games, etc. We are needing more directors. Sharon and Dorothy have been helping and Kelly is willing to help as well. Patrick is going to have a director’s meeting on May 1.

 

Alice Goo, Partnership Chair, asked for an updated membership list.

 

Old Business: None

 

New Business: Six new committees were established and given the following duties:

 

  1. Hospitality
  2. Put up and take down tables, chairs, bid boxes, pencils, drink stands, and little tables. Committee will ask all players to help.
  3. Make coffee
  4. Keep snack closet cleaned and organized.
  5. Clean kitchen and coffee pot and take out trash to dumpster after each game.
  6. Clean up room after each game. Make sure all doors are shut and locked.
  7. Send cards or flowers to sick members or for members who have died.
  8. Celebrate birthdays policies.
  9. Send obituaries to ACBL.
  10. Free play policies
  11. Mauna Kea or other special games
  12. Other social opportunities

 

  1. Club Maintenance
  2. Managing Makua Lani Bridge Building and the two areas of locked closets that we control, keeping both areas clean and organized with the help of the Club Manager.
  3. Checking and ordering supplies
  4. Keep up AED, check battery

 

  1. Education
  2. Arrange beginner, intermediate and advanced classes, short topics, etc. Coordinate with the president for use of Makua Lani.
  3. Responsible for advertising classes and other events.

 

  1. Business AD HOC

Responsible for examining By-Laws, non-profit status, articles of incorporation, etc. David Case has volunteered to chair this committee.

 

  1. Tournaments AD HOC

Responsible for all KBC tournaments. Planning, arranging, advertising, and following ACBL COVID guidelines as appropriate.

 

  1. Disciplinary AD HOC

Convene meetings as needed. Committee members to be appointed by the president.

 

Other duties discussed fall under responsibility of various positions:

 

Treasurer:

  1. Keep track of soda money
  2. Print envelopes for money report for each game
  3. Pay yearly insurance

 

President:

  1. Give kudos to people who are helping above and beyond. Dorothy wants to involve as many people as possible and make it fun!
  2. Provide name tags to board members.
  3. Newsletter

 

Other Business:

 

Establishing face to face guidelines: We will follow ACBL guidelines.

 

Saturday games: Louise will send out an email to determine if members are interested.

 

 

Discuss possibility of future tournaments: Tournament committee will meet soon.

 

Sharon moved and Pat seconded that we absorb special game finances by the club. Motion passed.

 

Pat moved and Sharon seconded that we give donation to the school at the end of the year. Motion passed.

 

Roma moved and Sharon seconded that we provide nice name tags for board members, manager, and directors. Motion passes.

 

Sharon moved and Penny seconded that we ask players to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to start of game to help directors get set up. Motion passed.

 

Sharon moved and Roma seconded that we give free play for two weeks to people who register to play in thanks for being so tolerant as we have started up face to face play again. Motion passes.

 

Next board meeting is scheduled for May 11 at 1:00.

 

Meeting adjourned at 3:00.

 

Respectfully submitted by Roma Johnson, Secretary

New Director!

Congratulations to Sharon Weber in completing and passing the Directors Test.  She will start directing once in person play resumes.

Board Meeting Minute 7/22/2020

KBC Limited Board Meeting Minutes

July 22, 2020

  1. Call to order

Kurt Weidner, President called to order the limited KBC Board meeting at 11:35 AM.

  1. Roll call

Attenders: Kurt Weidner, Sharon Weber, Shirley Decker (on phone), Bev Jefferson, Louise Weidner, Roma Johnson, Alice Goo and Pat Pearlman.

  • Approval of minutes from last meeting

Kurt Weidner read the minutes from the last meeting.  Bev moved to accept and Sharon 2nd. All approved.

  1. New business
    1. Holiday Party – Sharon motioned to cancel due to Covid, Roma 2nd. All approved.
    2. 2021 Sectional hosted by KBC. Louise motioned to cancel due to Covid.  Pat 2nd.  All approved.
    3. Continuing KBC. Louise motioned to continue with the club even with Covid.  Bev 2nd.  All approved.
    4. Club Management. Sharon motioned for Dorothy to continue as Club Manager and Louise to be the Assistant Club Manager. Pat 2nd.  All approved.
    5. Director Fees. Kurt motioned that all directors  are paid a flat fee, Louise 2nd.  Shirley did not approve.  Everyone else approved. Motion approved.
    6. Kurt spoke about the need for a new director.  Sharon volunteered to become a director.
    7. Board members. Bev motioned to keep the Board as is this year. Roma 2nd.  All approved. 
    8. Shirley Decker submitted the treasurer report.
    9. Unsanctioned games were discussed. In the unlikely but rare event, Director would be paid a reduced flat fee. $5 play fee was approved in this event.
  2. Adjournment

Kurt Weidner, President adjourned the meeting at 12:12 PM

Minutes submitted by:  Louise Weidner

 

Recent Master Level Addtions

New Club Masters:
Bill Blatt
Jean Zoeller
 
New Sectional Masters:
Don Claeys
 
New Regional Masters:
Roma Johnson 
 
New Life Masters:
Dee Fulton
Roma Johnson
 
New Sapphire Life Master
Dean Jenkins
 
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!!

2018 July Board Minutes

Attendees: Beverly Jefferson, Shirley Decker, Craig Ross, Marge Anderson, Sharon Weber, Polly Beynon, Kurt Weidner, Louise Weidner, Patty Olivares

I. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m. at the Bridge Building.

II. Welcome: Beverly Jefferson welcomed the members and thanked them for attending the last KBC Board of Directors meeting that she will chair.

III. Approval of Old Minutes March 24th, 2018: The old minutes were unanimously approved after the correction of two items under New Business, E. Sectional. Shirley Decker asked that the word “budget” be changed to “financial statement” in two places.

IV. Treasurer’s Report: Shirley Decker reported that we have $9,375.84 in the checking account at the end of June, 2018. She handed out the 2018 KBC Operating Statement through June 2018 and reviewed income and expenses, and handed out a supplemental explanation for specific income and expenses, and answered questions. The increase in table fees from $5 to $7 has finally put us in the black beginning in May 2018 even with reduced numbers of players at this time of year. Everyone was very complimentary as to the level of detail she is capturing in the spreadsheets.

V. Old Business:

A. Public Relations/Media-Bev Jefferson and Sharon Weber reported that West Hawaii Today is now printing the monthly bridge results for first place. Sharon was told that they would not print the results, and Bev contacted the Editor and he said that there was a miscommunication and that he should be included in the email submission of bridge results. It has been promptly published for the past several months.
B. Policy for Cell Phone Violations-Sara Ito submitted her reports to Bev Jefferson since she was not able to attend. Patrick Kallaus sent Sara “Appendix J Electronic Device Policy”, which is used in ACBL tournaments. It outlines the penalties for first, second, and third offenses and the appropriate penalties. Sara will work with our local directors on adherence to the policy. There was discussion that cell phones at KBC should never be on the table which has happened.
C. Policy for Slow Play-Sara Ito did not reference this in her report; however, Bev Jefferson has observed that Directors are more aware of the need to enforce no plays or late plays to keep the progression moving.
D. Photographer for Face Book Page-Marge Anderson reported that she has recruited Will Williams, Marlene Sabo, Kurt Weidner, and Dee Fulton to submit photos to her, but anyone can submit photos and she will put them on the Face Book Page with captions.
E. Bridge Building Pest Control and Maintenance-Bev Jefferson reported that the following KBC members came to the Bridge Building on Wednesday, June 27th and did a major clean up of all areas: Kurt Weidner, Mike Folkert, Craig Ross, Beth Reid, Dorothy Case, and Sara Ito. They tackled cleaning fans, carpet, tables, kitchen areas, and pulled out the broken and damaged chairs and tables and took some of them to the transfer station. The director’s workroom was cleaned and organized and standard cards will be given to the other bridge clubs on the island if they are interested. Beth took the metal boards home to make sure that complete decks of standard cards were in them for KBC to use for educational purposes. During this process it was noticed that our pest control needs to be stepped up. Bev has asked Patrick to spray the exterior and interior every two months versus every four months and he will spray these areas as soon as possible. Kurt will monitor the situation and determine if we need to hire a pest control company.
F. AED Renewal-Bev Jefferson reported that the annual AED was renewed for $286 and a representative came to inspect, test and clean the device. Gail Hadovsky is assigned to check the light on the device each month and record that it was functional.
VI. New Business
A. Committee and Manager Updates:

1. Club Management-Sara Ito’s submitted report included an announcement that the Monday 299er section has returned to a 199er section since it was so successful that we had more 299er players than players in the Open Section. Her report stated that by the time a player has reached 199 MPs at KBC they have usually been playing for several years and gained the confidence to play in the Open Section.
2. Club Management-Sara Ito’s submitted report included that we played 12 Charity Championship Games in April with the proceeds going to ACBL. Marge Anderson distributed information about local charities and recommended that we support our local charities. She has a background in working with the Kiwanis and has vetted each charity. The KBC Board unanimously approved that future charity games be set up to send donations of money and food to the Habitat of Hawaii-Puna Project and the Salvation Army of Kona-Food Bank Puna.
3. Partnerships-Patty Olivares reported that the new system for local KBC members to use the KBC group email system and/or the roster to email or call specific members is working well. She will continue to assist visitors in finding partners.
4. Public Relations/Media-Sharon Weber reported that Bev Jefferson asked her to edit the introduction to the monthly bridge results to explain what the two sections are to encourage new players and party bridge players in the community to attend. The board recommended using the word “novice” for the B Section.
5. Education-We do not have an Education Chair at this point in time. Bev Jefferson reported that she had consulted with Patrick Kallaus and he will continue to teach the Audrey Grant series on “Doubles” in the fall of this year, probably in October or November. Board members asked about beginning lessons since this is crucial to growing the club. We do not know at this time if Rexanne Ring and Dan Sabo will continue with these classes. Craig Ross offered to teach beginner classes if they are not available.
6. Website Management-Sara Ito’s report included that there is a new version of our website software that is available. The developer is no longer updating the old version and will help when we have problems but eventually a time will come when he quits supporting the format we are currently using. Bev Jefferson indicated that some of Sara’s frustration and being behind in updating is due to the difficulties she has when putting up a long document or photos or flyers and it disappears. The cost is $15/month instead of the current $5/month which is $120 more per year. The KBC Board unanimously approved to purchase the new website software.
7. Hospitality-Polly Beynon reported that she had sent flowers to the Service for Alice Goo’s husband, Meyer, who passed away. 8. Special Events-Bev Jefferson thanked Kurt and Louise Weidner for their recent 4th of July luncheon prior to the bridge game. It was well attended and the food was delicious. KBC Board members offered to help with future events so that all the work does not fall on Kurt and Louise. They are planning on asking other members to help with the monthly birthday cakes and coupons. Kurt and Louise will begin work on making plans with the Mauna Kea for the holiday party in December. Bev offered a special Mahalo to Kurt and Louise for donating a gas grill to the KBC for special events.
B. Policy for KBC Board Approval of Expenditures-Bev Jefferson added this to the agenda for consideration by the board. There is no policy or anything in the KBC Bylaws regarding what amount the KBC Board must approve. She was informed that the standard is $100 but that is a very small amount now when purchasing anything for the KBC and we only have 3-4 meetings per year. The KBC Board unanimously approved that the members of the Finance Committee (President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Manager) could make these decisions up to $300 per purchase, thus not requiring board approval unless it is greater than $300.

C. Replacement Screen for Exterior of the Bridge Building-Based upon the previous item, Kurt Weidner will purchase an exterior screen for the Bridge Building since it will be less than $300 and the majority of the Finance Committee was present at this meeting.

D. Appointment of the Manager and Co-Manager for the term of July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019-The KBC Board unanimously approved reappointing Sara Ito as the Manager of Record and Dorothy Case as the Co-Manager. Per Sara Ito’s submitted report, the KBC Board considered continuing free table fees for the Manager and Co-Manager. The KBC Board unanimously approved continuing free table fees for the Manager but not the Co-Manager since the bulk of the work is on the Manager.

E. Donation to Hospice of Kona in Memory of Sharon Bolton-Bev Jefferson shared an email from her daughter which had the obituary that asked people to send donations to Hospice of Kona in lieu of flowers. The KBC Board unanimously approved to donate $100 to the Hospice of Kona in memory of Sharon Bolton. Members who knew Sharon shared memories of her with the board members who did not have the opportunity to know this wonderful woman. Her daughter’s email said that she would like to donate Sharon’s bridge table which is just like new to the KBC. Bev Jefferson will coordinate this.

F. Nomination Committee for September Elections-Bev Jefferson reported that the Manager and Co-Manager who are not voting members of the KBC Board handled the nomination committee last year. The board agreed that it was appropriate so Sara Ito, the Manager, and the past Co-Manager, Marge Anderson, will handle this process since Dorothy Case is traveling until September and cannot perform this function in time for the September 5th, 2018 election of officers.

VII. Next Board of Directors Meeting Date-The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Saturday, September 15th, 2018 after the election.

VIII. Adjournment-The meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

Respectfully Submitted by Polly Beynon, Secretary KBC